Sunday, April 17, 2011

I Like this Raisin Bread Recipe (Yum!)

We eat a lot of raisin bread in our household. In the past six months the price of raisin bread has gone up 50 cents. Plus, the ingredients in the loaves at our local grocery store make me shutter a bit.  So, the past few months I've been baking my own raisin bread.  I've been experimenting with different recipes. Last night I came across one (here) and modified it just a bit.  I think this is a keeper!

In a large mixing bowl:

4 cups of unbleached white whole wheat flour 
3 1/2 cups (or so) of unbleached whole wheat flour
1/2 cup softened butter
1 Tablespoon salt
6 lightly beaten eggs
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast in 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water

1 1/2-2 cups raisins

I let it rise for an hour. Then I split the dough into 3 sections. I used a rolling pin to spread out the dough, then sprinkled on a mixture of ground pecans and brown sugar. (I ground up about a cup of pecans and added about 1/3 cup brown sugar which was plenty for all three loaves.) If I had remembered I would have sprinkled cinnamon on as well.

I rolled the dough up, pinched the end to the loaf, and pressed the ends together to fit into the bread pan. I let it rise for another 30-40 minutes.

I baked for about 25 minutes at 365-370degrees or so.

I let the loaves cool, slice them and freeze two of them for later.

Guess what I'm having with my coffee in the morning!


2 comments:

  1. you need to come bake for meeeeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to fire up my bread maker and mix this one for the oven. My men love raisen bread. I haven't found one that I have "loved" yet.

    ReplyDelete