ED got a couple of new cooperative board games from Grandma and Grandpa. ED and DD really love them. They're really terrific so I thought I'd give them a mention here in case you have birthdays coming up for your 3-5 year old.
Each player takes a turn flipping over a card. If the player flips over a night (star) card it has to be placed on the corresponding number on the gameboard. Players use a flashlight card to remove the night/star card from the board. To take the puppy home there has to be a clear path (with no night cards in the way).
These games are wonderful because they are not competitive--no winner or loser. And with the age of my girls (4 and 6) they can play them happily together independently. Still, I can easily recommend these games to the younger crowd as well (say 2 1/2 and up).
Another game we've enjoyed with all three of my kids is Dino Math Tracks Game by Learning Resource. It is a great game for helping kids learn place value.
We played this game when we were working on Place Value Activities. You might want to check out this post: Place Value Activities. We started working with the Montessori purple beads when the kids were about 4 1/2 (closer to 5 or so).
Perler Beads (affiliate link) to the list. ED has done dozens of these and everybody (even LD) continues to make them from time to time. These are wonderful for developing fine motor skills. Kids will be into these at different ages. ED was just over 3 when she started doing these independently, but LD didn't really enjoy doing them until he was 5.
Here is another post with a lot of other preschool activities for Small Motor Skills. Preschool at Home: Activities You Can Do with Your 2-4 Year Olds (Fine Motor Skills)
Other related posts you might be interested in:
- Preschool at Home: Activities you can do with your 2-4 Year Olds, Fine Motor Skills
- Preschool at Home: Learning Letters
- Preschool at Home: Alphabet Activities
- Preschool at Home: Handwriting
- Preschool at Home: Science for 2-4 Year Olds
- Preschool Montessori: Vertebrate and Invertebrate Study and Free Cards
- Preschool at Home: A Few Math Ideas for the 2 1/2-3 year old crowd
- Preschool Math Activities (K4) Montessori Math and More
- Free Math Lapbook (PreK-K)
- Preschool at Home: Lapbooks
- You might also be interested in the post: Homeschool Preschool Year in Review which was a recap of many of our preschool activities this past year.
- Preschool Geography: Activities for learning about where we live in the world, Montessori world map work and more
- Preschool Geography: Maps and More
- The Seven Continents and World Landmarks
- If your child knows their letter sounds, they may be ready to learn to read. Visit this post, Teach Your Child to Read, for fun ideas that help your child learn to read!
- Animals and their Characteristics
- Animals Around the World – Free Montessori 3-Part Cards
- Free Montessori World Pin Map
- Rainforest Plants (from around the world)