I made cards of the various ocean zones for the kids, cut them out and laminated them together.
This is a picture of the original activity I made for the kids, but I couldn't share it publicly because I wasn't sure of the copyright status of some of the pictures I used.
Recently, I made new animal sorting cards for the ocean zones and that is now available. The pictures I used for this new packet were either purchased (from canstockphoto.com) or have a creative commons license.
Here is more about the new activity packet I made:
Animals of the different Ocean Zone Layers:
- Sunlight Zone - Blue Marlin, Sperm Whale, Grey Reef Shark, Plankton, plankton, sea stars, jellyfish, sea urchins, sea turtles, dolphins, seals, sharks, sting rays, sand dollars, fish
- Twilight Zone - Octopus, Squid, Deep diving whales, Hatchetfish, Viperfish, Cuttlefish, deep diving whales
- Midnight Zone - Angler Fish, Snipe Eel, Lizard Fish, Sea Cucumber, Lanternfish, Sea Cucumber
- Trench Zone - mussels, crabs, tube worms, viperfish
Layers of the Ocean Activity Packet: There are two Ocean Zone Activities. It includes the ocean animal sorting cards and zone cards that you see above. And it also includes an Ocean Depths activity, which covers things like--how deep was the deepest scuba dive, the Titanic wreckage, the deepest recorded fish, or how far down is the Mariana Trench. Students can cut out pictures of these and place them at the appropriate depth. (Also in the packet, you'll find this same activity in meters.)
More Ocean Curriculum...
Ocean Packet: We have been studying the Ocean again in the spring of 2016. Our 65+ page Ocean Unit (see details here) is now available!
- Ocean Unit: Marine Habitats, water form words (bay, strait, fjord,
etc.), tides and currents, salinity, features of the ocean floor, Ocean
- Special Body Features
- Fish Body Shape and Movement
- Biological Interactions: Mutualism and Commensalism in the Ocean
- Deep Sea Life – Bioluminescence, Anglerfish
$6.75 (Until 10:30pm Friday, May 6th, 2016)
We went on to do a lot with this ocean unit. Be sure to check out this post at our new location, homeschoolden.com:
Some of our activities included: